Saturday, April 6, 2013

Gilt by Katherine Longshore

Title: Gilt
Author: Katherine Longshore
Genre: YA Historical Fiction
Pages: 406
Ages: NA
Review Rating: DNF (Did not finish)

Synopsis:

When Kitty Tylney's best friend, Catherine Howard, worms her way into King Henry VIII's heart and brings Kitty to court, she's thrust into a world filled with fabulous gowns, sparkling jewels, and elegant parties. No longer stuck in Cat's shadow, Kitty's now caught between two men--the object of her affection and the object of her desire. But court is also full of secrets, lies, and sordid affairs, and as Kitty witnesses Cat's meteoric rise and fall as queen, she must figure out how to keep being a good friend when the price of telling the truth could literally be her head. 

Review: 

I just couldn't get into this book. I picked it up because I had seen such high reviews online for it. Plus I really enjoy historical fiction. But this novel was so slow and boring! I got to page 72. And nothing was happening!!! Yes, Cat got sent to court, but that was it. In 72 pages. The main character also bugged me. She just let Cat walk all over her, tell her what to think, do and say. She had no back bone whatsoever and that really bothered me. From all the other reviews I've read, I expected to it to be really interesting from the start, but for me, it did nothing. Like a flat line. 

From reading the synopsis, you would think the action starts on page one. But no. There is no 'thrust'ing into the court. At least, 72 pages of dragging dialoge and boring plot line doesn't bring to mind 'thrust'. 

I know others had really enjoyed this book, but me, not so much. 

2 comments:

  1. DNF books are so disappointing! But I think you need to have a rule. There's no point in finishing a book that you're not enjoying - there are so many other books out there just waiting for you to read.

    72 pages of nothing is way too long for a book to start to get interesting.

    Hope your next read is more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To true. I saw a rule of thumb 50 pages or 5 chapters. If it hasn't gotten interesting to that point, to put it down. I just really wanted to give it a chance because so many people loved this book!

      Delete