Monday, April 1, 2013

Jessica Rules the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey


Title: Jessica Rules the Dark Side 
Author: Beth Fantaskey
Genre: Teen Paranormal/Romance
Pages: 320
Age: 12+
Review Rating: 3/4

Synopsis:

“I should sue the people who designed the My Little Pony Crystal Rainbow Castle I played with in kindergarten. They led me to believe that castles were filled with rainbows and cupcakes and pastel-pink furniture. Not stone and fire and . . . blood.”
Eighteen-year-old Jessica Packwood is having a hard enough time feeling regal with her new vampire husband, Lucius. But when he’s charged with murder, Jessica’s suddenly on her own. She knows that with no blood to drink, Lucius’s time is running out. Can she figure out who the real killer is—and who she can trust—before it’s too late?

Review: 

Having loved the first book, I was a little hesitant to read this one. I've seen it on the shelf for a while, but never could bring myself to pick it up because I really enjoyed the first one. But finally on Tuesday, I picked it up and took it home with me. And I am glad I did. 

The novel opens after the wedding of Lucius and Jessica. I was a little lost because the novel was giving us detail that seemed like we should have already known them, however they had not been talked about. After a little digging I found out that on her website is the actual wedding of Lucius and Jessica, along with a secondary story started with Mindy (Jessica's bff) and Lucius' best man Raniero. So do yourself a favor and read that whole story on her website before reading this second book

We jump in pretty quickly with the state of affairs for the lovers, and they are not looking all that good. Jessica is slowly losing herself to worry and stress, unable to cope with the prospect of having to rule a whole group of people that are so much older and more experienced then herself. We see that Lucius still believes in her, but is beginning to make plans to keep Jessica away from the responsibility of ruling as much as possible. He is still the very powerful, beautiful, sensitive guy yet doesn't have a problem showing his displeasure with situations. 

We are pulled into a world of political intrigue, where many believe Jessica and Lucius will fail, and only a few allies are to be found. The mystery is quiet simple, but it is a teen novel and isn't expected to be overly complicated. 

Because Jessica and Lucius are married now, Fantaskey brings in two characters that will hype up the romance for us. Mindy and Raniero have an interesting past with each other and they meet up again at the castle in Romania. The romance between the two I felt was a little dull. It could have been much more, especially with some revelations that come later in the book, but Fantaskey decided to keep it pretty surface level and immature. 

Overall this was a good, not great, but good. I'm glad I decided to read it, however the romantic element that made me really love the first book wasn't really there. Reading Jessica come into her own power was great! I really did love that. 




No comments:

Post a Comment