Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout

Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer Armentrout
Pages: 361
Genre: YA Paranormal/Romance
Ages: 14+
Review Rating: 4/4

Synopsis:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don't kill him first, that is.

Review: 

I had been on the hunt for a good, make your skin heat up, love the tension YA romance for a while. And let me tell you . . . I FOUND IT!!!! I picked this up after reading some rave reviews on Goodreads.com and the reviews were spot on. I started the novel at 8p and ended at 2a. Seriously. Straight through!! The story starts off pretty stereotypical of all romance novels, YA or adult, where the main character meets a standoffish, rude, sexy, undeniably alluring and physically the peak of human perfection male. She also lives next door to said perfection. While this is pretty clique, I love it. To quote RED "It's awful, just awful . . . I love it!" 

The real meat of the story begins when she finds out that Daemon and Dee, the amazing sister of the sexy Daemon, are . . . ALIENS! Because I read the back of the book, it wasn't surprised by the reveal, but the way it was done was pretty cool. The aliens themselves were awesome! I really liked the world that Armentrout created. It was very creative and unique. I'd never heard or read of anything quiet like it. The bad guys in this novel were also pretty cool, exact opposites from the heros. I do wish that Armentrout expounded more on where the Arum, the bad guys, came from. 

That first time that Daemon and Katy kiss, WOWZA! The thing I loved about this novel was that Armentrout walked that fine line of sexy, leaving the reader a little breathless, but not crossing into something that I would feel uncomfortable with letting my daughters read. She really makes you feel the connection between the two, on a physical and emotional level. Plus the reason they have to be around each other is pretty cool! 

Overall I loved this novel and totally fell in love with Daemon and Katy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment