Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Opal by Jennifer Armentrout

Title: Opal
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Genre: YA Paranormal/Romance
Pages: 382
Ages: 18+
Review Rating: 2/4

Synopsis: 

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.


Review: 

When I finished Onyx, I searched like a mad woman to get to the next book. I literally looked everywhere, two different library systems, ebook rentals, friends, but no one had it to borrow. So I started looking into buying it (and while I'm a book lover, I am also a penny pincher, so if I can get it without buying it, I will!) Both Barnes and Noble had it, as well as Amazon and iBooks. I finally decided on iBooks because I had a credit on my account. But if you're going to buy Opal, I would suggest BN. Their price was half of what it was with iBooks.

So, it downloads and I dig into the juiciness that is Katy and Daemon's world and . . . begin to loose interest. It took me a week to read this novel. I thought it would be like the rest, action packed and full of drama, but it wasn't. The plot in the previous two books had been rip-roaring fast, happening in only a few weeks. But this one took where Onyx left off and dragged until just before graduation. That's like November to May. While things were still happening, there were chapters that I felt like didn't have anything going on. When things began to pick up, they would REALLY pick up! And those bits were so exciting. But the bulk of the novel felt like it was wondering.

The book picks up right where we left off in Onyx and the whole gang are trying to pick up the pieces of their life after the death of Adam and Katy's torture and Dawson's return. Dawson is an interesting character because he could have had some really awesome development, throwing a wrench in things. But he was more single faceted, obsessively focused on getting Beth back. Armentrout didn't really give him much in terms of depth and power in the story. Which made me sad because I was really excited to see Dawson for the first time. 


The end of the novel is pretty amazing though! The last 10 pages are intense and leave you hanging, chomping at the bait for the next one. 

A note about the age appropriate content: I have some very strong views on sexuality. I am conservative and was raised that sex should be between husband and wife. There are two scenes in the novel that I felt were completely inappropriate for a teen novel. While I'm not naive to the way the world thinks, I don't feel sex before marriage should be encouraged or described in a graphic sort of way. Because of this I am giving this an 18+ rating with a warning that there are two sexual scenes in this novel that are not age appropriate for teens.

I will probably continue reading this series, but I think it's going to be taken off of my ultimate favorites list. At least after book two.

No comments:

Post a Comment