Friday, May 10, 2013

Darkness before Dawn by J. A. London


Title: Darkness Before Dawn
Author: J. A. London
Genre: YA Paranormal / Vampire
Pages: 342
Age: 12+
Review Rating: Bottom Shelf

Synopsis:

Only sunlight can save us.

We built the wall to keep them out, to keep us safe. But it also makes us prisoners, trapped in what's left of our ravaged city, fearing nightfall.

After the death of my parents, it's up to me--as the newest delegate for humanity--to bargain with our vampire overlord. I thought I was ready. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the monsters. Then again, nothing could have prepared me for Lord Valentine . . . or his son. Maybe not all vampires are killers. Maybe it's safe to let one in.

Only one thing is certain: Even the wall is not enough. A war is coming and we cannot hide forever.

Rating: 

I don't know if it was me, or you Darkness before Dawn, but I just think we aren't a good fit. I tried, and you tried to pull me in, but we had some real problems. Okay, joking aside, this book was one that I probably would not have finished if it wasn't for the fact that I had read all my other books by the end of the week. In the time it took me to finish this novel, I read and reviewed two others. To be fair though, I had been waiting with bated breath for the other two novels that happened to come out the week I'd gotten Darkness from the library.

The novel didn't have anything blaringly wrong with it, but it was subtle things. The characters had back stories, good back stories as well, but the way they were conveyed and explained didn't ever capture me. I felt many of the secondary characters were one dimensional, acting more as props of the plot line then actual beings effected by the events. The author tried to make us feel sympathy for the main character Dawn, but I never felt beyond the initial 'oh that's sad'. Victor, our male vampire/ love interest, is kind of puppet-esque where there isn't much to him beyond the normal teenage angst.

There is something about the author J. A. London. It is an mother/son duo, which may be why the story didn't feel like it flowed well. I've found most of the books I've read that have author duo's I haven't liked.

I wasn't the biggest fan, so I'm going to have to say . . . Bottom Shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment