Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Storm by Brigid Kemmerer

Title: Storm; The Elemental Series
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Genre: YA Paranormal
Pages: 353
Ages: 16+ (for language)
Review Rating: Middle Shelf

Synopsis:

Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys; all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming.

Review: 

Don't judge a book by it's cover. I had to remind myself that when I picked up this novel. The cover reminded me of those chop-shop novels that publishers like Harlequin Romance put out. You know the type, cookie cutter stories, one dimensional characters, and normally boring. But remember, don't judge a book by it's cover. On Goodreads.com (which is where I got A LOT of my book recommends) it had a really high ranking and all the reviews were favorable. So, I picked it up . . . and was totally rewarded!!! 

This novel picks up on page one with action and mystery. Becca is a real fighter, emotionally and physically, which is a refreshing change from the majority of teen novels. She has had a traumatic experience that we don't really find out about until close to the end of the book, but it is hinted to enough that you get what's going on. It colors a lot of the choices Becca makes when it comes to Chris and her interactions with his brothers. There were some points with Chris's older brothers that I felt were a little extreme, but I understand the choices that the author made. Chris and Becca have a really great love/hate relationship that is so much fun to read. Their verbal jousting is both funny and heart pumping. 

But Chris has some competition in the form of Hunter, a goth/punk/new age new kid that is hot, charming and mysterious. He seems to know things he shouldn't know, but this is very easily overlooked because he treats Becca so well. I don't know about other readers, but I was kind of pulling for Hunter because he was a gentleman, broken inside, but kind and generous. Wow, I think that was maybe enough adjectives! 

The story line is well thought out and plotted. Half way through the book I called something that I was a little nervous about it's execution. It was a little clique, but ended up being well written with just a little cheese. The inclusion of the supernatural in the novel was different. I've read books before about people who could control the elements, but this was a brand new take on the idea. It made sense (which doesn't alway happen), and it was cleanly executed so we didn't as the readers were not confused. Kemmerer is a really great writer, one I'll be keeping my eyes on for the future. I've gotten the second book, Spark, and I'm waiting anxiously to for Spirit!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment